Tuesday, October 07, 2008


October 6, 2008

Be sure to check out Samarra Am Management's exciting October Wednesday events after the interview. I hope to hear and/or see you at least once this month!

INTERVIEW: AMANDA WISS FLUIDITY & FLEXIBILITY

Prior to launching Urban Clarity, a professional organizing firm, Amanda had ten years’ experience in the non-profit and corporate sectors in training, event planning, program and people management, sales, marketing and recruiting. She studied at Oxford and graduated from Wellesley. An active member of the National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO), Amanda serves on the Board of NAPO-NY as the Director of Professional Development. She is also on the Board of the NY Wellesley Club, where she organizes alumni programs and leads the book club. Amanda lives in Brooklyn with her husband and their two young daughters.

Samarra: Can you give me an example of some of the things
that you do?

Amanda: Frequently I work with people who are feeling stuck in some way – they haven’t opened their mail in a while, they are wasting money buying duplicates because they can’t find the things they need, they don’t have routines in place that support them. One of my more bizarre stories was that as a client and I were sorting mail we discovered that her husband had received a notice letting him know that his car would be impounded. The letter was dated over four years ago, and that entire time they’d believed that the car had been stolen.

Samarra: Oh my goodness, are you serious?

Amanda: Yes. And I'm not telling you this for people to laugh. I'm saying this to show the extent of how overwhelmed people are these days. When I meet with people for their first consultation they are swimming in clutter and they don't have time to do the things that are important to them. I enjoy organizing so much because by working together people gain clarity and peace. The person I mentioned earlier now has closure from something that was four years old. Now this may seem an extreme example but every one has a range. I help clients set goals from where they are, without judgment, which allows them to move forward and be accountable to someone.

Let's face it, it's no fun to do this stuff alone. By doing it with someone else you get an energizing, invigorating boost. And with me you get the know how along with the companionship and support.

Samarra: Now as a child my mom told me that I always lined my toys up along the wall. I loved for things to be organized. It sounds like you have always been that way as well, so is it possible for those that can't stand to "file, organize" etc. to implement what you do with them for the long term?

Amanda: Absolutely! Organizing is definitely a skill to be learned, and we can all improve in this area. A successful professional organizer will customize the solution to the person. When I have clients who hate to hang up their clothes, we put a few well-placed hooks on a wall. What I focus on is creating a living system so you can go about enjoying life. We figure out how can we set up your space so you can you get out of the door in 20 minutes with as little stress as possible. We set something up that the household can maintain, and then tweak it as necessary in the future.

Samarra: Interesting.

Amanda: One of the things that I have learned by having two children is that we can’t all have houses that are designer show pieces, but we can have warm, functional places that support us and our families. As a former perfectionist, I’m finally learning that “done is better than perfect." Many times people don't even want to start organizing because they feel they won't be able to get it perfect. Growing up, I was always pushing myself to do things perfectly, and my girls have taught me to learn to be grateful for figuring out the important things and not getting too stressed about the rest. I admit I'm still working on that, but I realize and understand that having great friends, a family, and a community that you love is more important then the need to be right – or to have color coded files if that’s not important to you! In the past I was really precise and sometimes rigid, and now I've learned how to relax.

Samarra: This is why I really wanted to speak with you because your energy and spirit is seemingly so free and light and I think when people think about organizing or hiring someone to help them organize they think "tight, stiff" and you simply ooze "fun."

Amanda: Thank you. Yes, I really do enjoy doing this and it is fun watching people love their space. I’m very approachable and keep things real – no one is perfect, but we can all strive to have less anxiety and more meaning in our lives. Creating a clutter-free environment reduces stress, allows people to find things faster, and decreases expenses because you don’t have to make duplicate purchases. This is what I work with my clients to create. They see direct results from working with me – improved comfort and utility in their home, greater peace of mind with their finances and their schedule, and overall improved productivity in their lives. Because my approach is engaging, people feel extremely supported when we work together – and I make a task that they’ve been dreading actually manageable and dare I say, fun!

Samarra: Tell me a bit more about the process.

Amanda: My approach comes from "is the stuff that is actually in your space right now, supporting you?" I often find that people have several copies of the same book. They will have a chair blocking the door to their closet. They will have the book "Word Perfect for Dummies" and now they have a Mac. Or the book "What to Expect When You’re Expecting" and their youngest child is now 10 years old. Who can we pass these books on to? There are many people out there who could enjoy the things you no longer value – so it’s time to let go and let others benefit. I am unbiased and supportive which can allow me to envision things differently. It is so much fun to hear people say "I've never thought of that." Organizing should not be a struggle. It should give you possibilities. Organizing is about being open to fluidity and flexibility. I'm training people to rethink and live in the present. I have them take stock of everything in their house. To assess what is being used now, and if it isn't being used, what can be passed on to others, so they live in a streamlined, functional home.

Samarra: This is a very interesting way to look at this. I guess, even I didn't realize, but we tend to think of organizing as static. Once a system is set up then it must stay that way no matter what. That does take the fun right out if it, believing that the system in place today will have to work years from now. That does render a person to do nothing. But your approach of what is going to help you get out of the door and/or setting systems in place that will serve the person day to day has an entirely different approach and feel.

Amanda: Yes, exactly. When there is space we tend to fill it. So I start from what is important to them and create a system that supports that. Purge what they no longer need and use. And then discuss the behavior changes moving forward that allow them to maintain the system as long as it still serves them. If you have children then you know you can't keep the place immaculate, but one of the behavior changes that you implement is "clean up time." You make it a part of the routine. Now there is a flow and system that allows you to have a support system and behavior change that will support you and your family.

Samarra: What have you found to be the greatest obstacle or burden for people?

Amanda: Paper. Paper. Paper. But it's not the paper itself, it's that there is no system in place for dealing with it. It’s helpful to make a plan that works for you. For instance, have your trash or shredder close by, and make a simple filing system to file appropriately. Go through your existing files and purge – I bet there’s a ton of stuff you don’t need anymore! You should hold onto your tax filings (for at least 7 years, if not indefinitely), but you don't need your bills from 1987! Generally, you can get rid of everything prior to three years ago. For your incoming papers purge and edit at least once a week. What happens is people are overwhelmed and they let mail sit and then things are late and lost and then there are further repercussions and the cycle continues. However once you create a system that allows you to live from what supports you, people's lives are transformed. And it is so much easier to maintain and keep up with it. Ask yourself, in case of an emergency, how quickly can you put your hands on a vital document and get out the door? Is your information backed up properly? How much time are you wasting daily just looking for paper? If you can create a better routine, you’ll be in much better shape on a consistent basis.

Samarra: Right we are all familiar with the "where are my keys?" saga every morning. It is automatically easier when what is in your space is only what is supporting you and you know where to find the things that you need. I see it all the time with my clients so much time is spent "looking, searching,” which then gets them frustrated and causes them not to even want to deal with it.

Amanda: Exactly. Clutter is never about the stuff. It's your vision of self and the past, or what you want your future to be. Simply not doing things alone, and having an outside eye, like a friend or a professional organizer, you will be surprised by how quickly a large impact can be made in such a short amount of time. Be open to the shifts of life and embrace them when they come, because they do come.

Samarra: Thank you so much Amanda. I've always been organized but I think I do have my pay checks and bills from the last 20 years. I think I have some purging to do. (Laughter)




Amanda has volunteered her time to meet with Emotional Money Readers for a free one hour discussion of how you can set up systems to serve your space. It will be Wednesday, October 22nd from 7pm-8pm. Recently I've seen a lot of evidence that clutter in finances stems from a clutter within the home. When one is cleared it as an affect on the other. Please RSVP to me by October 14th at emotionalmoney@gmail.com to attend this amazing session. We need to have at least 10 people registered for the seminar to occur. So please RSVP. The location will be announced soon. You will be inspired by her energy, knowledge and love of teaching others about the secret to organizing - fluidity and flexibility.




SAMARRA AM MANAGEMENT WEDNESDAY'S


THIS WEDNESDAY,October 8th, 7pm-8pm - Samarra Mbenga -
The Other Side of Through - Learn about my story. Emotional abuse, lack of love for myself, and an adamant mistrust of others. Does that sound like me now? If you think it doesn't, please join me on this call to find out how I arrived where I am today. Please RSVP at emotionalmoney@gmail.com And/or call in at 1-218-486-1616 Passcode: 931969
Please call in a few minutes before, so we can begin on time.


Wednesday, October 15th, 7:30pm-10:30pm - Presidential Debate and Networking Event in New Brunswick
Register at www.njminoritybusiness.com $15
Leaving East Orange at 6pm. Join me for the ride.
Call me at 718-350-6095 or email me at emotionalmoney@gmail.com.

Wednesday, October 22nd, 7pm-8pm - Amanda Wiss: Professional Organizer
Featured in the interview TODAY. Seminar will take place in Midtown - location will be announced next week.

Wednesday, October 29th, 6pm-8pm $35.00
Inspiring & Empowering Your Financial Goddess w/ Carol Buchman,
CPA & Financial Planner
243 West 30th Street, 11th Floor


________________________________________________
Any affirmations, suggestions, requests, job notices, teleseminars or events please email me at emotionalmoney@gmail.com. Any comments regarding any of the weekly "Emotional Money" issues please post and join in the conversation. To unsubscribe to "Emotional Money" weekly ezine type in subject line "unsubscribe Emotional Money." To unsubscribe to all notices regarding Samarra Am Management events type in subject line "unsubscribe Samarra Am Management."

Copyright 2008

1 comment:

American Folder Company said...

Great Article--As we at American Folder Company understand the challenges that many office environments face each day. We have been the industry filing experts since 1985, and have found that the key to successful filing is to find the products /solutions that fit your needs. At American Folder Company we have 1000's of filing solutions that are time tested--So if your looking for a Pressboard Folder / Classification Folder, File Pocket or Manila File Folder solution we have it. Give us a look at AmericanFolder.com and you will see that our manufactured filing supplies are of the highest quality possible and we ship all orders Freight Free (USA orders only).

Americanfolder.com

Custservice@Americanfolder.com